Reprinted from The Edge 2007.2008
(recipe: Steve Jurina, Millie’s Restaurant in Richmond, Virginia)
2 medium onions, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 T olive oil
1 pork shoulder roast (4-5 lbs.),
cut into stew-sized pieces
2 cups rice wine vinegar
12 large rolls
1 lb. coleslaw
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Saute onions and peppers in 2 T olive oil; add garlic when vegetables are soft and cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 T olive oil in skillet or heavy ovenproof casserole and brown pork.
4. Mix all vegetables, pork and vinegar in a heavy ovenproof casserole, add vinegar, cover and bake for 3 hours.
5. Remove from oven and stir to break up chunks of meat. If pork does not shred easily, return to oven and bake until tender. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Assembly: Heat rolls and pile on the barbecue and slaw. We made it easy on ourselves and purchased “bluegrass slaw” and ciabatta rolls from Coastal Provisions Market in Southern Shores.
|Wine & Beer Picks: (courtesy Chip’s Wine & Beer Market)
Susana Balbo Malbec,
Hops Infusion IPA, Pennsylvania